300 grams Cooked beetroot, peeled & puréed
4 large eggs Slightly beaten
125 grams Ground almonds
2 tablespoons Raw cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
4 tablespoons Honey - warmed enough to flow easily
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Baking Powder Pinch of salt
125 grams Dark chocolate - over 70% cocoa solids - in small pieces
4 tablespoons High purity olive oil for clean, elegant texture and flavour
Parchment paper - optional
Step 1 - Beetroot Mixture:
1. Boil, microwave or pressure cook 4 medium-sized beets until soft.
2. Peel by immersing in cold water and rubbing off the skin.
3. Purée and if cool enough mix in the beaten eggs, slightly warm honey, vanilla extract, baking powder and salt.
Step 2 - Set Oven at 375F to Preheat:
Step 3 - Chocolate & EVOO Mixture:
1. Soften chocolate over low heat or in a double boiler.
2. When soft, slowly mix in the extra virgin olive oil.
Step 4 - Combine Mixtures Mix in the chocolate and olive oil mixture into the beet root mixture until evenly combined.
Step 5 - Bake: Scrape fudge mixture into a baking tin lined with parchment paper or greased with high purity EVOO so as to not infuse any off-flavours, and place in oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Step 6 - Cooling & Decorating:
1. Remove from oven and cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
2. When completely cooled place on a platter and dust with cocoa powder.